What is a weighted blanket?
- A weighted blanket is heavier than a normal duvet or quilt. Our blankets are weighed down with small glass beads that conform to the shape of your body.
- Research published by Occupational Therapy in Mental Health found that using a weighted blanket reduced anxiety in roughly 33 percent of the participants.
What weight should I choose?
- Don’t choose a blanket that’s too heavy for your weight range: the last thing you need is to get stuck underneath a blanket. We recommend a blanket that's 10% of your body weight.
What is Deep Touch Pressure (DPT)?
- Deep Touch Pressure (DTP) is the term for when pressure is applied equally across the body, which is known to have a calming effect on the nervous system.
- This effect has been shown to increase the release of dopamine and serotonin (the ‘happy hormones’) by around 30%, and decrease the stress hormone cortisol by the same amount, which can help you feel relaxed and encourages more restful sleep.
Why should I buy a weighted blanket?
- Weighted blankets are used to provide warmth and gentle pressure all over your body, which feels like you’re being held, or hugged. For many, the sensation induces a relaxed state which helps you fall asleep more easily.